New to Distance Learning? Welcome!
BEFORE ENROLLING IN ONLINE CLASSES
Be sure you understand what it takes to be successful in an online environment.
1. Take the Test of Online Learning Success to see how ready you are for online learning.
2. Meet the Technology Requirements for your home study area.
3. Make sure you can succeed in an online course! Read these great resources:
BEFORE THE SEMESTER BEGINS
UNLESS OPENED BY YOUR INSTRUCTOR, CLASSES IN BLACKBOARD WILL SHOW ON YOUR COURSE LIST THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS!
1. Blackboard Learn 9.1 is our main online course management system. Some classes, like Online Math Classes, use a different online system, so if you are taking a math class online, be sure to contact your instructor NOW to find out which system you will be using.
2. We also recommend that you contact your instructor before the semester begins for more information about the class, especially if you live outside of Northwest Arkansas. Sometimes there are additional requirements [special software, an orientation, etc.] that you will need to know about before the semester begins. You can find your teacher's email and phone number by searching the NWACC directory here: https://api.nwacc.edu/phonelist.php [email generally works best to contact faculty]
3. Find your textbooks by using the NWACC Bookstore's textbook lookup website.
4. Make sure you know how to check your NWACC email, and check it regularly for important information and announcements. If you need help with NWACC email or My NWACC Connection, please contact our Student Technology Help Desk.
5. Check your system for Blackboard compatibility by using the Browser Checker. Correct any issues by using the Browser Settings Guide or contact Technical Support so your computer is ready for the semester.
6. Every new Distance Learning student, taking either Online or Hybrid classes, is enrolled in an optional Self-Guided Blackboard Boot Camp course a few weeks prior to the semester. If you would like to attend a Live Blackboard Boot Camp, these are held the week just before classes begin. Attend or complete this course so YOU are ready for the semester.
DURING THE SEMESTER
1. You will use our specific Student Resources Page once your classes are underway. We recommend bookmarking the page, which also has a Tiny.cc address of http://tiny.cc/onlinehelp for easier remembering. The Student Resources page is also reachable by clicking the Blackboard Resources link inside your Blackboard class.
2. Go to Class!
What? I thought with distance learning classes I didn't have to go anywhere!
With fully online classes, this is generally true -- but remember that you still have to "go to class" by entering your online class and fully participating right from the very start of the semester.
If you are taking a hybrid or video class, you must be at the location specified during the class times shown on your schedule.
What if I have trouble accessing my distance learning class?