Early College Experience

High School Students

Now is the time to make important decisions about college and career. You can get an early start by earning college credit while you are still attending high school. Early College Experience offers courses designed to give you a jump start on your college education while reducing cost and time needed to complete a college degree.

Early College Experience provides a challenging college-level experience for 11th and 12th grade students. As an ECE student, you pay one half of the regular college tuition, enjoy an enriching academic experience, and gain access to higher education. Early College Experience courses are available in the areas of Business, Communication, English, Math, Science and Social Science. 

ECE Student Handbook

Transfer credit

Early College Experience courses transfer to most public college in Arkansas and to many colleges throughout the United States. You should check with the college you plan to attend to make sure these courses will transfer there. Remember, you are responsible for requesting that your college credit be transferred to the college of your choice. Click on this link Transcript Release Form, and download the Transcript Request form. Once it is completed, send it to the Office of Student Records by mail or fax, and you're transcripts will be sent at no cost to you.


NWACC is regionally accredited through NACEP, the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships. For more information visit www.nacep.org


You must meet the following criteria to participate in ECE:
·      Be enrolled in grades 10-12 in a participating high school
·      Have a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading system
·      Have an appropriate placement score on the ACT, SAT, COMPASS, or Accuplacer
To maintain your eligibility and to remain in the program, you must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in high school, maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in your NWACC coursework, and pass any pre-requisite courses with a C or better.


A pre-requisite is a course that must be completed successfully in order to take another course. For example, English Composition II requires a pre-requisite of English Composition I.

Application and Registration

Check with your high school counselor to pick up a registration form. You should complete this form, sign it, and turn it in at the time of registration. If you are under 18 when the semester begins, your parent or guardian must also sign the form. Early College Experience registration normally takes place


Check with our high school counselor for a complete list of courses for the upcoming semester. If you would like to take a course that is not currently offered at your school, check with your counselor for online or Compressed Interactive Video options.


As an Early College Experience student, you pay reduced tuition based on the school district where you live.  You will not receive a bill since NWACC invoices your school for the tuition. Please note that tuition is due at the time of high school registration. Make checks payable to your high school.  If you have any questions about tuition, please contact your high school counselor.

Course materials and Textbooks

You will receive a syllabus that is identical or very similar to the syllabus of your course taught on the NWACC campus. The textbook is the same as that required for courses taught on the NWACC campus. You are responsible for the purchase of books and other course materials. Books can be purchased new or used, online, or at any local bookstore.

Class withdrawals and Refunds

The academic calendar is published on the NWACC website. Early College Experience courses follow this calendar as closely as possible. The refund time periods are posted on the calendar. Remember that any refund will be sent directly to your high school, so you would need to check with your counselor about the high school's refund policy.
In order to properly withdraw from a class, you must fill out and submit an Add/Drop form to your counselor. Failure to do so may result in having an F in your college transcript.

Course grades and Transcripts

You can expect the credits earned through Early College Experience to transfer to most colleges and universities. Standard practice of most colleges and universities is to accept transfer credit on a case-by-case basis. You should contact the college or university you plan to attend to verify its transfer policy.

Student ID

Early College Experience students receive a student ID and an email account. With a student ID and user you can have access to NWACC resources such as email, library, tutoring, etc.

Academic Dishonesty

Students are expected to do their own work. Do not resort to finding a short cut to doing the work. Academic Dishonesty will not be tolerated. The college policy on academic dishonesty is in the NWACC Student Handbook and Daily Planner


Plagiarism results when a student presents the words or ideas of someone else as if they were his/her own. If the words of someone other than the writer are reproduced without acknowledgment of the source or if someone else's ideas are paraphrased in such a way that leads the reader to believe they originated with the writer, then plagiarism has occurred.
Plagiarism can be either intentional or unintentional. Intentional plagiarism is the knowing, deliberate copying or downloading or buying of information with the intent of passing it off as original with the writer. Intentional plagiarism is a very serious form of academic dishonesty that can lead to suspension from school. Unintentional plagiarism is the misrepresentation of information through ignorance or carelessness.
It is the responsibility of all NWACC students to understand what plagiarism is and to learn the proper methods of documentation so as to avoid this form of academic dishonesty

Students with Disabilities

For information or to schedule an appointment, please email (preferred) disability@nwacc.edu or call the main office at (479) 986-4076. The DRC is located in Room 114 on the first floor of the Student Center on the main Bentonville campus.

Academic accommodations and related supports are available to NWACC students with disabilities through the Disability Resource Center (DRC). If you have received Special Education services (IEP or 504 plan) and/or if you have a disability or medical concern which you feel may impact your access to or progress in the Early College Experience program and would like to request accommodations during your time at NWACC, please contact the DRC  for more information. 

It is important to understand that even though you are still a high school student, your access needs for any course that you take through the ECE program is subject to the NWACC process and that any plan you and your guardian(s) have participated in developing through your high school (IEP or 504) will not apply to your ECE course(es). Please also note that students with disabilities must meet the eligibility criteria to participate in ECE courses. 

There are some significant differences in the process of using academic accommodations in the college setting as compared to high school. The DRC works with students and faculty collaboratively to coordinate reasonable academic accommodations for students. However:
1)  Students must contact the DRC to begin this process; we call this self-identification.
2)  Students must also submit documentation in support of their request; the College does not conduct diagnostic      
     assessment/evaluation services.
3)  Students are very actively involved in the accommodation process and parent(s)/guardian(s) are not typically involved
     directly. When they are, it is at the invitation of the student.
4)  Students must contact their instructors themselves to make their needs known. The DRC will provide materials,
     information and guidance on this process.

Request for Survey Participation
To receive and maintain NACEP accreditation mentioned earlier in this handbook, NWACC must survey current and former Early College Experience students. Please help us by completing the survey when asked!